May 1 - Reverse board project Avian had to take something that had already been completed and make a sequential board for it. They chose the scene from Avatar: The Last Airbender where Toff is fighting - S2 E6: "The Blind Bandit". Enjoy.
May 4 - I picked up Nick's contacts on my way home from work and Steve and I drove them down to him after dinner. He told us his back was really sore and it had started hurting after he swam severl laps at the YMCA. He then also admitted to riding a mechanical bull and really getting thrown around. We went to the store and got him a heating pad to help with the pain.
May 5 - Teachers all over North Carolina wore to show support for teachers getting the pay and respect they deserve. LNC is definitely supportive of NC teachers.
Nick called and told me he had been to the chiropractor everyone at work goes to. He has a broken tailbone and fluid on his lower spine. The doctor told him to rest it as much as possible and use ice to help with the swelling.
May 6 - Nick called and said the x-ray showed he also has scoliosis and it is making his broken tailbone more painful. This poor kid has to work all day lifting heavy things and bending over. He is a trooper.
![]() |
| Grandpa's flowers growing in our Grandpa Garden |
May 9 - Steve and I went to a surprise party for our neighbor, Stefani. It was fun to surprise her and get to see a lot of our neighbors as well. We were on the veranda at the Highland Creek Gold Club and there was live music playing. The musician took a break and came to wish Stefani a Happy Birthday. I was surprised to find out that Stefani had never had a surprise party before. We were honored to be there for her first one.
![]() |
| The view from our table on the veranda at the Highland Creek Golf Club |
May 10 - The older primary kids talked in sacrament meeting for Mother's Day. It was the best sacrament meeting ever. Nick came over for dinner. After dinner we took a walk around the neighborhood. It was fun to talk with Nick for a bit. We don't see him as often as we would like. He is doing well and loves his new apartment and roommate. That is a positive.
![]() |
| We sent Avian a picture so they could feel like they were a part of the festivities. |
![]() |
| The beautiful flowers everyone got me for Mother's Day. |
![]() |
| I used the patch weaver they got me to fix the truck seat cover. |
May 16 - Steve and I woke up early and drove to Saluda for their Arts Festival. It was spread out all over Main Street and there were so many talented people there.
![]() |
| We talked to this lady. She makes baskets and such with wooden bottoms and macrame rope. They are really cool |
After touring the entire festival, we decided to head to Hendersonville which was just a short drivel. I had been raving about the fun antique shops in Hendersonville since Avian and I went there with the Licastris for the apple festival. The shops did not disappoint. We also found a really fun thrift shop.
![]() |
| Steve took a picture of this shirt to show to his primary kids. They all agreed it was not Sunday appropriate. |
![]() |
| The drive home. The mountains and clouds were so peaceful. |
May 17 - We were just finished up dinner when the doorbell rang. Steve went to see who it was and came back with a Marcos Pizza. None of us had ordered it. We looked at the receipt and it was not our address or our phone number. The address was on Laurel Run Drive so we thought maybe we could just deliver it to its rightful owner. While Steve called the number on the receipt, Val and I were looking up the address on the receipt. There was no such address in Highland Creek, but there was one in Memphis. That was too silly to even consider. Turns out it wasn't too silly. This pizza was supposed to be delivered to a house in Memphis. The owner got a good laugh about it and told us to enjoy the pizza. I hope he got his pizza for free as well! That was one really big mistake.
![]() |
| Sid had to do a photo shoot of Romeo and Juliet in a more modern setting. This is Avian as Romeo and Mags as Mercutio. |
May 25 - Steve worked on the Singer table and my shelves all day. When he came in to clean up, a drop of sweat landed on the toilet lid. It must have been a good day in the garage because even his sweat was smiling.
![]() |
| Close up |
![]() |
| Zoomed out so you can see I wasn't just making this up. |
Avian is in the heat of finals week and Nick is in Florida for two more master mechanic classes.
May 26 - I finally had a chance to get the pictures hung up and named the room the Grandpa Gallery. There are pictures done by my great-grandfather, my grandfather, my dad and a project by Steve. I loved how it turned out.
![]() |
| My dad's painting |
![]() |
| The Singer table finished and decorated. |
May 29 - Avian had to take Ezra to the airport in the morning so Steve and I checked out the hotel and did some sightseeing. I had always wanted to see the Bonaventure Cemetery since I had read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". It sound really cool and did NOT disappoint.
![]() |
| The road driving into the cemetery. It is already worth the drive. |
![]() |
May 30- Avian and I went to Lynchburg for Aleena's bridal shower. It was a tea party and all her sorority sisters were there. It was fun to watch them all interact. I kind of missed my sorority days while watching. Avian had a great time getting to know all Aleena's friends and meeting the other members of the bridal party. It was a day well spent.
![]() |
| This picture is a great illustration of how their friendship has always been. They are fun to watch together. |
May 31 - Churchwide there was a lesson on the Constitution at church. We focused on why the Constitution was so important for our religious freedom today. One thing that really stuck out to me was the discussion on the right to "the pursuit of happiness". In today's terms that would mean seeking material things and status to be happy. In the time the constitution was written it had a meaning closer to the ancient Greek idea of eudaimonia or "living well through good character and active participation in civic life." Instead of meaning "having" it meant "being". I loved that clarification.
Back at home, when we went to move Val's car back into the driveway, it would not start. Steve tried for 20 minutes and finally called the HC Security to let them know why the car was on the road for the night. When the security guard arrived to put a note on the car so we wouldn't get a ticket, they tried it one more time and it started. I followed Steve up to the dealership and we left it there so they could get it fixed for us.
Avian's Projects for the quarter that haven't already been highlighted above
![]() |
| It is a foldable so no matter what way I oriented the picture something was going to be scattiwampus. |

































.jpg)






.jpg)






No comments:
Post a Comment